Why do I love winter so much?





Why do I so love winter?  The cold and desolation speak to me and without fail call me out of the house each year on a truly cold day.  I like the muffled sounds of the cold;  when only the brave venture out of doors and the birds don their plush winter layers.  Fog and chimney smoke and the white of my breath dancing all around are intoxicating,  and the air is so refreshing I take satisfying gulps.
 

  
My only companions around "Hilmteich" this morning are a couple of dogs in coats with their owners,  and one solitary student wearing shorts and leggings and walking fast in order to stay warm,  be on time for class at the university; or both. She chose a daring outfit for -6° C (21° F) at 7:30 in the morning.


When I exited our building this morning to embark on my restless need to escape into nature, I walked right into the busy world of a school morning.  Children getting on and off of the tram and hurrying in their ear muffs to one of Graz's many schools muffled with teachers going to work. I only had to survive two intermittent stops in the tram, so it was only a few minutes  until I made it to my destination.  The thankfully empty park with its frost lined benches, lingering rust shaded leaves, and its pond laced in rising steam and the ever present ducks, was waiting, calm and undisturbed by the bustle of the city.

 Austrian law prohibits soon-to-be-mothers from working eight weeks before giving birth and eight weeks following the birth, unless you are self employed.  Although I do not appreciate being strong-armed into giving my music students into another teachers care for the next four months, I am now taking advantage of my newfound freedom.  Now I have more time to focus on my studies and attend as many concerts as I like while my days and evenings still belong to me and not a little cuddle bear who needs to eat and sleep and do other unmentionable activities constantly.  So I am told.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life abroad... so romantic. Or is it?

High Ceilings and Oceans

Finnley reflections (2020)